[Mitgcm-support] Re: butterflies

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:45:44 EDT 2003

Re. Ralf's "butterflies":

Ralf Giering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Working with ecco_c44_e22 I have found some butterflies by compiling and
> running the code with array boundary check. See the list below.
>
> You might want to add an array boundary check as a standard test case of the
> code.
>
> Ralf
>

> Code version: ecco_c44_e22
> ==========================
> - iikey is set in thermodynamics but also used in dynamics
>   it should either be defined in ecco_the_model_main
>   or thermodynamics and dynamics should use different key variables.

This key is never used so didn't cause problems.
I'll fix it nevertheless, "just for the heck of it" as they say.

> - tmpvar used but not defined in ctrl_unpack.F

Is a dummy variable so doesn't cause problems.
I'll fix it nevertheless, "just ...

> - using undefined values of kapparv in mom_v_bottomdrag
>   mom_v_bottomdrag must have iMin,iMax,jMin,jMax as arguments
>   and only use values being calculated in calc_viscosity
>   There are probably many more routines in mom_fluxform and mom_vecin
>   using undefined values.

This is what caused the problems with the adjoint
of kapparu, etc. a few months ago.
We fixed it by extending the setting of the background
to the full overlap. That's a quick and dirty fix.
Maybe the jmin, etc. can be sorted out

That's it.

Patrick

--
Patrick Heimbach     Massachusetts Institute of Technology