[Mitgcm-support] Itanium 2 Benchmark

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:42:31 EDT 2003

Chris,

Thanks for the information on the compilers.

I have another question/request.  Intel has recently
released their Itanium 2 CPUs and the vendor from whom
we purchased our Linux Cluster (Aspen Systems) will be
getting a four processor system into their facility on
Friday of this week.  They have offered to make it
available to us remotely for benchmarking, assuming
that you haven't already ran a benchmark on a similarly
configured machine.

Since the Itanium 2 is 64 bit and is rumored to be
7-8 times faster than the P4 chips (4 times faster
according to SPEC2000fp), it would be a very strong
contender as the basis for a Linux compute server to
support the GODAE effort.  The Itanium 2 machine which
we will have remote access to at Aspen Systems will be
configured as follows:

     4 x Itanium 2 1.0 GHz (1.5 MB L3 cache)
     16 GB RAM
     73 GB Ultra SCSI 320, 10K internal disk
     Intel Compilers

Would you be interested and/or able to benchmark your
oceanographic model on that system when it becomes
available early next week?  If so, how long would you
need access to that machine in order to complete your
benchmark?

Please advise,

-- Bob

Robert D. Worsham (Bob)
Atmospheric & Environmental Research, Inc.
131 Hartwell Avenue, Lexington, MA  02421-3126 USA
voice:(781) 761-2288            fax:(781) 761-2299
email:worsham at aer.com           http://www.aer.com