[Mitgcm-support] detatfreesurf == deltatracer

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:41:52 EDT 2003

Its not obvious to me that setting dt_fs to tracer dt is
getting to the full answer. For the 4 degree runs
the equatorial grid spacing is about 400km and so the
dt=1200 secs we were using doesn't even allow time
for a free surface wave to travel 1 dx (which
would require roughly 2000 secs). The result will be
big ssh changes such that the relation ssh/H is small
is violated. This is presumably what leads to the blow up.

However, I can't see how the switch to dt = dttracer
is argued numerically. What is needed is a dt such
that ssh/H always stays small everywhere I think?
Should we add a ssh/H test that traps this error
for non NL freesurf cases? Based on that quantity
we could maybe actually choose deltatfreesurf
automatically and avoid having everyine ask what it
should be and why!

Chris