[Mitgcm-support] Vote due by 5pm

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:41:32 EDT 2003

Patrick Heimbach wrote:
> There have been requests to be able to avoid the
> standard output from mdsio
> (e.g. "MDSREADFIELD: opening global file ..." and the like)
> since it causes the std. output file to grow excessively
> for long jobs and crashes on batch machines.
>
> Suggestion would be to add it to the debug mode, i.e. place
> some #ifdef's and if's around it.

Not within debugMode - that's strictly for dumping everything.
If you turn it on you'll see shit loads of data you'll never want
to see in real life. If any real person (non-developer) turns
it on it's their own problem and we should never ask them to either.

I see four choices:

i) We could comment out
  MDSREADFIELD: opening global file
but I put there because file name argument can resolve to three different
files:
   fName='topog'
can read either "topog" or "topog.data" or "topog.xxx.xxx.data".

It's been useful before when someone says "I changed the forcing file
but nothing happened". I know someone on the 15th floor who's done that.

ii) We could add an #ifdef and if around it but that's yet another
pair of CPP and run-time flag to maintain in a messed up
CPP_OPTION.h/ini_parms.F

iii) We could add a CPP in MDSIO_OPTIONS.h and not have a run-time flag.

iv) Let whoever is complaining comment it out themselves.

Who's complaining about the number of messages? You? :-)

I'm all for deleting print.F though! Bloody nuisance.

A.