[Mitgcm-support] call of gchem_forcing

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:30:16 EDT 2003

Hallo Stephanie,

What is the reason for calling gchem_forcing after the_correction_step
and do_fields_blocking_exchanges? By doing this, the passive tracers are
first cycled/updated and then the halos are updated and then the sources
are computed in gchem_forcing and the stracers are time-stepped again!

Wouldn't it make more sense to call gchem_forcing after thermodynamics
and BEFORE the_correction_step? The the ptracers would only be updated
once (and you wouldn't have to compute the halos, because they are
exchanged in do_fields_blocking_exchanges). Of course you the
dic_xxx_forcing would then need to update gPtr instead of ptracers. But
still, it makes more sense to me. What do I overlook, that made you
choose the call state late in forward_step?

Cheers,

Martin Losch
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany;
Tel./Fax: ++49(0471)4831-1872/1797