[Mitgcm-support] RE: praise be to MITgcm

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:55:08 EDT 2003

Hi Martin/Stephan,

 An MPI parallel run requires three code and build configuration
settings:

 1. the SIZE.h thing **but** you need nSx=1, nSy=1, nPx=2, nPy=2. The
nSx and nSy settings are for multi-threaded parallelism, which is
usually more fussy than multi-process.

 2. In CPP_EEOPTIONS you need to switch to have
    #define ALLOW_USE_MPI
    #define ALWAYS_USE_MPI

 3. Use the MPI flag in genmake, as you did. However, the path names for
the mpif77 command etc... are not standardized and so can vary for
different installaitons. I would guess Stephan will know whether these
are different for you Sun install.

 Finally running needs a special command, usually called mpirun, that is
provided by the MPI system install on a given platform. This can also
vary for different installs, but Stephan will probably know about this.

  Section 4.3 of the online manual and the subsequent text has material
on the steps above.

  At four degree resolution it is generally hard to get spectacular
speed ups through parallelism. The individual tiles become very small
and so the communication overheads show up fairly quickly. I'll be
interested to know how it goes and what you find.

Chris