[Mitgcm-support] Re: Release1 branch

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:38:59 EDT 2003

Chris Hill wrote:
> I clearly don't understand! Where are we supposed to build and test
> the code to make release1_beta2? I had assumed we did that by

Build and test on the main trunk.

> adding to the release1 branch the 29,000 lines of diffs from the
> main branch? Then we can test them and tag something release1_beta2
> when we are ready.

You didn't add those 29,000 lines to release1-branch because
the branch point already had them. How is a person (AA, JMC, PH
or HH) meant to know what is in release1-branch?

You can not just arbitrarily choose 29,000 lines of diffs to include.
We work with tags. If you feel those 29,000 lines are so special
then tag them and you'd have no argument from or any excuse not
to work with release1 branched from c43.

The sequence is:

 o do things on the Main trunk
 o decide that it's time for a new beta
 o tag the main branch, e.g. c45
 o cvs co -d R1 -r release1 -P MITgcm
 o cd R1
 o cvs -q update -j checkpoint43 -j checkpoint45 -d -P
 o cvs commit
    "beta1->beta2 contains changes made between c43 and c45
     which are .... and the addition of tuturials"
 o cvs tag release1_beta2

For that matter, the first item could even be (do things in
a side branch then merge into main trunk).

A.