[Mitgcm-support] Clarification of computer speed

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:17:54 EDT 2003

HyperNews notification of new message.  See:
  http://escher.JPL.NASA.GOV:2000/HyperNews/get/forums/wkmtg/78/1.html

The Ames' lomax is faster than alhena (400 vs 300 MHz), but Ames' steger
is slower than alhena (250 vs 300 MHz).

This is supposed to be the case. However, the limited numbers of runs on
Ames that I performed for the past two days shows that: lomax is only
slightly faster than alhena (by a few %), steger is much slower than
alhena (by 15-100%).

Maybe one of the reason is the use of executables generated on alhena
(not optimized for the Ames computer?). I'll recompile the code on the
Ames computer to see what happen.

Tony