[Mitgcm-support] question on modifying code

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:38:16 EDT 2003

Dear Dr. Adcroft and other members of the team,

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how I can change the MIT-code to
introduce barotropic tidal forcing as a body force; may I bother you and
ask
you some  advice? (I'd sent a mail with this question earlier to Chris
Hill, but
have so far not yet received a response).

Our idea is to introduce a (known) vertical velocity component of the
barotropic tide,
W say, immediately in the heat equation, by changing wT_z into (w+W)T_z
(and if S is not constant, in the salt eqs too). This term then acts as
a forcing
for the internal tides.
This is essentially what Khatiwala has done (but in the momentum eqs,
the idea is
the same), and I was wondering if perhaps modified routines are
available to
read/introduce such a field W(t,x,y,z) properly.
Could an additional prescribed vertical component perhaps be added to
rTrans in calc_gt.F without damage?
Actually, to add the term in the momentum eqs would also be alright;
would the modified code that Khatiwala used perhaps be available?

Your advice and help will be much appreciated!

Best regards, Theo Gerkema.

LEGI (Laboratoire des Ecoulements Géophysiques et Industriels)
BP 53
38041 Grenoble Cedex France

tel: 33 (0)4 76 82 50 45
fax: 33 (0)4 76 82 52 71