[Mitgcm-support] Bottom Drag Terms

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:34:53 EDT 2003

Hi Chris (E),

Did you take a look at c35 yet?

I'm in the process of re-organizing the calc_mom_rhs.F to allow vector
invariant form and noticed these lines near the top:
      IF (no_slip_bottom) THEN
       bottomDragTerms=.TRUE.
      ELSE
       bottomDragTerms=.FALSE.
      ENDIF

which imply we can only use the linear of quadratic drag if
we also use the no-slip boundary condition for viscosity too.
I know I wrote the above but can't quite figure the reasoning!
Probably just a quick decision to get it done before you left
that day. Except for very large viscosities it probably doesn't
matter but it seems like an unnecessary inflexibility.
Any reason not to fix this?

Also, the quantity
     &      2.*KappaRU(i,j,kp1)*rkFac*rdrckp1
     &     + bottomDragLinear
     &     + bottomDragQuadratic*sqrt(KE(i,j)+KE(i-1,j))
     &    )*(1.-maskDown)*uVel(i,j,k,bi,bj)
is meant to be the divergence of a stress (the rho's get cancelled).
Do we have the conventional units for bottomDragLinear
and bottomDragQuaratic? I think CNH asked me this earlier but I
didn't know.

A.