[Mitgcm-support] Re: sea-ice code

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:44:37 EDT 2003

>> Dimitris,
>>
>> let me know if you need help with combing the sea ice and
>> the exf bulk formulae, or if there's a part that I could do.
>>
>> cheers
>> -p.

Patrick et al., does the following look reasonable:

#ifdef INCLUDE_EXTERNAL_FORCING_PACKAGE
        CALL EXF_GETFORCING( mytime, myiter, mythid )
#else
        CALL EXTERNAL_FIELDS_LOAD( mytime, myiter, mythid )
#endif
#ifdef ALLOW_SEAICE
        IF ( useSEAICE ) CALL SEAICE_MODEL( myTime, myIter, myThid )
#endif

where SEAICE_MODEL will provide three forcing options:

   1) load atmospheric state, evaporation, and runoff
      from files (present configuration)

   2) load atmospheric state, evaporation, and runoff using
      EXF_GETFORCING (sea-ice bulk formulae would still be used)

   3) get atmospheric state, runoff, and open-ocean
      bulk-formulae fluxes from EXF_GETFORCING

Written this way, the sea-ice code can accommodate future decisions to
modify/replace EXF_GETFORCING or to package the open-ocean bulk formulae
separately.  Checks that seaice_model will get what it needs and that there
will be no file-loading duplications will be moved to seaice_check.F, rather
than to forward_step.F where they presently reside.

In related news, Jinlun has repeated the verification/lab_sea, LSR tests using
his POP-based code.  There are no edge problems.  So the LSR sea-ice dynamic
solver problem may simply be one too many world-cup beers on my part, while
porting the code in Hamburg ... Hic ;-)

D.

Dimitris Menemenlis                      menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Lab, MS 300-323           tel: 818-354-1656
4800 Oak Grove Dr, Pasadena CA 91109     fax: 818-393-6720