[Mitgcm-support] genmake & natl_box

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:36:18 EDT 2003

> As mentioned in my previous e-mail
> make depend overwrites the link to source codes
> (i.e. the one previously set to
> verification/natl_box/code/external_fields_load.F
> is reset to
> models/src/external_fields_load.F
> So I had to re-link external_fields_load.F
> after "make depend"

The old genmake/make depend behaved like this but
now (c35+) it only makes a link if the file or link doesn't
exist.

In the following examples (which work the first time only):

  cd bin
  ../tools/genmake
  ln -s ../ver*/nat*/code/*.[hF] .
  make depend

or
  cd verif*/nat*/input
  ../../../tools/genmake
  ln -s ../code/*.[hF] .
  make depend
  make

you *must* re-do the links after a make Clean.

The new method (not in pre-c35) uses genmake -mods=dir option:

  cd bin
  ../tools/genmake -mods=../verification/natl_box/code
  make depend

or
  cd verif*/nat*/input
  ../../../tools/genmake -mods=../code
  make depend

or
  cd verif*/nat*/input
  ../../../tools/genmake
  cp ../code/*.[hF] .
  make depend

or
  cd verif*/nat*/code
  ../../../tools/genmake
  make depend

all work robustly after make Clean. (Note: third option above didn't
use -mods but still works).

A.