[Mitgcm-support] Re: convective adjustment

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:35:48 EDT 2003

Hi Sonya,

 At checkpoint 38

 cAdjFreq = -1 causes the frequency to be set
 to the model timestep.

 cAdjFreq = 0 stops it happening

 cAdjFreq = +NNN causes it to happen every NNN seconds.

 There are two forms of convective adjustment
 (1) mixing by averaging adjacent levels
 (2) mixing by high vertical diffusivity

 cAdjFreq controls (1)
   relevant code is
    convect.F
    convective_adjustment.F
    the_correction_step.F

 ivdc_Kappa controls (2) There is no way to set a frequency
 with 2. ivdc_Kappa is a high vertical diffusivity that will
 be used where adjacent vertical levels are unstable.
  relevant code is
   calc_ivdc.F
   impldiff.F
 (2) requires implicitDiffusion=.TRUE.

 (1) and (2) produce indistinguishable results!!!

Chris