[Mitgcm-support] RE: MIT model/hardware question

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:35:39 EDT 2003

 Anybody who won't go bankrupt before their
warranty expires is good!

 We have machines from Dell, Compaq, IBM.
All are good and reliable.

 I think the IBM 1600 is a Power4 processor machine - as opposed
to a Pentium 4 processor machine. Confusing!
That means it will probably cost more up front and
in terms of ongoing license costs. You could try
asking though, the Power 4 machines get good performance.

 I think the 1300 series are Pentium III machines.
That means they are a lot slower than Pentium 4
machines for GCM like application performance.

 Got to go to sunny LA for the rest of the week.
Feel free to bug Alistair.

Chris