[Mitgcm-support] Re: free slip/no slip

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:35:36 EDT 2003

Arne,

There is an issue regards spurious stress at the corners of steps.
When I last thought about this it was after addressing the same
issue in the horizontal (Adcroft & Marshall, Tellus 50(1), 95-108, 1998)
and I basically concluded there was no simple fix.

There's also an issue with the vorticity of flow over a step (Skamarok? or
Rancic?) in meteorological literature. There, they worry about the advective
terms using a false vorticity on corners.

> Another question: Is the shaved cell option still in the mitgcmuv code?

Shaved verses lopped is there in essence but not easily accessed in practice.
It's mostly about how the hFacC, hFacW and hFacS arrays are initialized.
For need more topographic information to initial for shaved where
as with lopped everything can be calculated from a depth map on the
tracer grid. There might also be a few places in the code where
we have optimized knowing we are lopped and I wouldn't like to
have to figure out where that is.

A.
PS> Did you update the matlab scripts for generating input files (on
your web site)? I want to make some changes and I'd rather we keep
in sync.