[Mitgcm-support] Ecco Community / DODS , IDL, ....

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:32:51 EDT 2003

HyperNews notification of new message.  See:
  http://escher.JPL.NASA.GOV:2000/HyperNews/get/forums/mit-jpl/11.html

Zhangfan's original message is a very well thought-out list, and appears
complete to me. COngratulations !.

I have two comments on detail:

DODS: despite all the praise we heaped on DODS, I must warn you that
PERFORMANCE may not be great. Within our own JPL building, having
computers on different SUBNETS makes reading a large dataset from a disk
owned by a disk on another subnet, via NFS mount, very slow. And NFS is
a well optimized commercially supported product. I suspect the DODS
performance will be much worse.

PYTHON: if we want to give OUT software it is important that it be free
or the licensing cost be acceptable. If we intend to set up 2-3 servers
controlled by us, it is immaterial whether we spend an extra $5K for a
Matlab or IDL license. So, I would go with the package that can do the
most, especially if several users hit the site at the same time and
various subprocesses are launched to subset and make plots concurrently,
regardless of cost (so long st it is < 5K license, + < $1K/yr
maintenance).