[Mitgcm-support] EOS

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:31:08 EDT 2003

Hi,

I don't understand how the different EOS works:

a) I don't see why we don't have 1 S/R / EOS
that compute what is needed, with an argument
to select either rho, alpha or beta.
Right now, after 2 calls, we still need additional
computations that could have been put inside the EOS S/R(s).

b) check_eos is ... really bad :
* requires a huge space in memory since new 3D arrays T,S, ...
  are declared.
* save/modify/restore of P(1,1,1,1,1) in common bloc is
  not very elegant
* find_rho is called but also others specific EOS S/R
  (that are also called inside find_rho)
  and at the end I am completely lost.

If there is a volonter to maintain this piece of code, its fine.
For now, the solution I found is to set #define EXCLUDE_EOS_CHECK
at the begining of ini_eos.F that leave the check_eos S/R empty.
This reduces the size of the executable significantly.

Jean-Michel

PS: (a detail)
eosType is well documented, appears in "data" file and so on.
But in EOS/ S/R, this is an other string that is used,
longer, undocumented, but also in a common block.
This does not contribute to make thing more clear.