[Mitgcm-support] Cannot reproduce Gaussian bump problem in Adcroft et al(1997)

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:27:44 EDT 2003

Hi

Does anybody reproduce the Gaussian bump problem in Adcroft et al. (1997)
successfully? I still cannot get the 10th day relative vorticity field as
reported in the paper. I couldn't get the large nearly circular cyclonic
eddy which is very close to the downstream boundary.
I don't know why.

I change the domain to 80*60 and use 8 layers as the paper.
Any other parameter I should change from /verification/exp4?

I got the non-dimensional depth integrated relative vorticity in this way.
Anything wrong?

1. Calculate relative vorticity at each location by
vor=dv/dx-du/dy

2. Integrate (sum) the relative vorticity along the depth and then devide
by the depth

3. Devide by f=1e-4.

I do appreciate if you have any insight. Thanks a lot!

Sincerely yours,

Yu-heng