[Mitgcm-support] Re: some progress

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:19:21 EDT 2003

Hello Alistair,

> There was a reason you wanted to move the filters - do you remember
> what?

I remember quiet well:
with topography, u*,v* are far from beeing representative of
a true velocity field since eta have strong graqdient associated
with topography.
But this was tested with Shapiro only, also at this time I moved
the 2 filters (FFT & Shapiro).

Since FFT has a much bigger impact on the divergence of
the flow than Shapiro, it's possible what we end up with
a different position of the 2 filter in the code.

What is clear is that with rigid-lid, only u*,v* can be
filtered.
With flat topo and free surface, I would like to compare the
* filtering u,v and use exact-conserv,
* filtering u*,v*
and make the test with FFT on.

See you,