[MITgcm-support] orlanski open boundary conditions

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Dec 3 03:18:50 EST 2003

Sorry,
I send the email prematurely. Originally, I had set ALL OB_*=100*-1,
which then resulted in problems only at the north and east, where this
parameter value is appropriate, at the south and west I got something
like a solid(?) boundary and the effects I described did not appear.

But with the "correct" values
OB_Jnorth(:)=-1,OB_Ieast(:)=-1,OB_Jsouth(:)=1,OB_Iwest(:)=1
I get the problems at ALL boundaries. So there is some sort of symmetry.

I put two experiment configuration on (and the output obtained on
sea.mit.edu)
sea:/data/mlosch/MITgcm/vortex
sea:/data/mlosch/MITgcm/small_vortex
(cvs co -r checkpoint_51f_pre MITgcm_code)
vortex is (100x100x29) and has 5km horizontal resolution
small_vortex is (20x20x10) and has 25km horizontal resolution
the experiment-directories are also in sea:~mlosch/vortex.tgz and
sea:~mlosch/small_vortex.tgz but in those the .genmakerc-files in the
code-directory need to be changed (remove "recom" from the disable list
and unset the ROOTDIR variable)

Experiments start from rest with an intial temperature/salinity
perturbation (temp.ini,salt.ini), open boundaries with Orlanski
radiation conditions on all boundaries, I use the standard timestepping
(see data file), linear free surface. Integration is 3months (the runs
don't get there) with daily snapshots. Obviously, volume is not
conserved (mean sea level decreases and then increases in the coarse
model, oscillates with high amplitudes, .4 meters, increases and then
goes to negative infinity in the high resolutioin experiment). In the
high resolution experiment, the high vertical velocities near the
boundaries are more obvious than in the coarse run.

BTW, different problem: I tried double periodic boundary conditions on
the same configuration, but then the gravity waves do not damp out in
the high resolution run, unless I use high laplacian friction
(1000m^2/s for 5km resolution), and the model explodes, too. Why is
that? Coriolis constantly adding energy? I tried
useEnergyConservingCoriolis=.true., but that doesn't help.

Puzzled,

Martin