<div dir="ltr">Hello Jody,<div><br></div><div>Thank you for your reply!</div><div><br></div><div>Unfortunately, I do not have hourly nudging fields to use. In fact, all I have is daily-mean fields from the GLORYS reanalysis (which includes velocities). And I set them as boundary values in a <span style="background-color:transparent">Dirichlet fashion (MITgcm's 'prescribe' option). And these values are simultaneously the nudging fields itself when the sponge option is active.</span></div><div><br></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent">If I had hourly velocity fields, there wouldn't be a problem then :-)</span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent"><br></span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent">Meanwhile, MITgcm's sponge layers use these boundary values and nudge the inner solution towards them inside some bands along the open boundaries. Thus, I can not figure out how to keep tidal forcing while using daily-mean velocities (which do not contain tidal oscillations) and still using MITgcm's sponge layers..</span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent"><br></span></div><div>>> If you don’t like the forcing fields being so large,</div><div>>> you could modify the code to add the tidal velocities easily enough.<span style="background-color:transparent"></span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent">The size wouldn't be a problem, but I simply do not have hourly data. </span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent"><br></span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent">And the code already deals quite well with tidal velocities in corresponding subroutines; it efficiently takes them out from the volume balance procedure, for example. If I'm not mistaken, you suggest to tune the sponge procedure itself to somehow make it keep tides? But at this moment the total current velocities already include the tidal component, I believe.. Anyway, it is something for me to think about..</span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent"><br></span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent">Or just switch the sponge layers off entirely.. Speaking of which, what is an accumulated community's experience - do people always use MITgcm's sponge in their regional applications?</span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent"><br></span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent">Regards,</span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent">Stanislav</span></div><div><br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">сб, 19 сент. 2026 г. в 01:58, Jody Klymak <<a href="mailto:jklymak@uvic.ca">jklymak@uvic.ca</a>>:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hi Stanislav<br>
<br>
If I had nudging fields for the boundary conditions, I’d simply prescribe them every hour instead of every day, and add the tidal and daily ocean velocities together to get the forcing. Yes your nudging fields are 24 times larger, but…<br>
<br>
If you don’t like the forcing fields being so large, you could modify the code to add the tidal velocities easily enough. <br>
<br>
Cheers, Jody<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
MITgcm-support mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:MITgcm-support@mitgcm.org" target="_blank">MITgcm-support@mitgcm.org</a><br>
<a href="http://mailman.mitgcm.org/mailman/listinfo/mitgcm-support" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://mailman.mitgcm.org/mailman/listinfo/mitgcm-support</a><br>
</blockquote></div>