<div dir="ltr">Hello, dear colleagues!<div><br></div><div>My question is about handling the open boundaries in MITgcm using sponge layers (but, as they are implemented in MITgcm, I believe it would be more correct to call them 'nudging layers').</div><div><br></div><div>I am using daily-mean velocity fields from the GLORYS12 reanalysis to prescribe open boundary conditions. Tidal forcing is also applied at the open boundaries using amplitudes and phases for several tidal harmonics (taken from another, regional tidal model).</div><div><br></div><div>The question is: Can nudging ('sponge' in MITgcm terminology) layers be used in my model in this scenario?</div><div><br>As I understand, they would pull the internal solution (the calculated velocities) towards the prescribed daily-mean velocity, thereby smoothing out (or fully annihilating?) the tidal oscillations near the open boundaries.</div><div><br>In other words, by relaxing the solution towards the daily-mean velocity fields from the GLORYS12 reanalysis, the tides might simply disappear from the internal solution near the boundary; consequently, tidal waves would not propagate from the open boundaries into the model domain.<br><br>Is my understanding of the model's architecture correct for this particular case?</div><div>If so, what should be done to account for both types of forcing along the open boundaries while still using MITgcm's nudging layers to suppress artificial reflections from the open boundary? As I know, if sponge layers are not used, it is commonly believed that the Dirichlet condition for flow velocity would inevitably lead to partial reflections at the boundaries...</div><div><span style="background-color:transparent"><br></span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent"><br></span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent">Best regards,</span></div><div>Stanislav Martyanov</div></div>