[MITgcm-support] Open boundaries and sponge layers
Stanislav Martyanov
martyanov.sd at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 05:42:02 EDT 2026
Hello Dimitris,
Thank you for the clarification about the tidal forcing. Currently I am
re-configuring my existing setup for the arctic marginal seas, specifically
the Barents and Kara Seas. The main focus is on the modelling and study of
biogeochemical processes in a realistic physical environment, so good model
dynamics and thermodynamics are crucial.
I'm using barotropic tidal impact at the open boundaries taken from an
external Arctic Ocean tidal model. Along with daily-mean fields of U,V,T,S
+ ice taken from GLORYS.
Unfortunately, field observations, especially for currents, are very
scarce, but we are working to use whatever we have - SST, T-S profiles,
sea-ice compactness, etc, to tune and verify the model.
Regards,
Stanislav
вс, 20 сент. 2026 г. в 18:12, Dimitris Menemenlis <dmenemenlis at gmail.com>:
> Stanislav, excellent that your simulation setup is working. The
> obcs_add_tides.F tides are implemented as a depth-independent (barotropic)
> transport at the boundaries, so sponges (or nudging as you say) will have a
> tough time stopping this flow, although some artifacts are possible (and
> probable) in the sponge region.
>
> May I ask what region and period of time you are attempting to model and
> in a sentence or two the purpose of your study. You are aware, I assume,
> that obcs_add_tides.F will only add barotropic tides, it will not include
> baroclinic tides. I am pretty sure that neither does GLORYS12 and even if
> it did, you will not be capturing this forcing with daily obcs fields. So
> if you are studying internal waves or their impact, or you need to include
> them for whatever reason, you need a different strategy.
>
> Finally, for the reflection issue at the boundaries, I think that a little
> reflection, especially in downscaled simulations is not bad, as long as it
> does not lead to runaway amplification of kinetic energy in your domain.
> There will be high-wavenumber signals that will be missing in your boundary
> conditions that could be compensated in part and in a statistical sense
> from these reflections. If you have observations of kinetic energy in your
> simulation domain, say a current meter mooring, you should be able to
> adjust your sponge layer parameters to give you just the right amount of
> kinetic energy in your domain. A Green’s Function optimization would be
> perfect for that. If you decide that you need this kind of adjustment, I
> would be very happy to walk you through it, and very curious to see if it
> works.
>
> Cheers, Dimitris
>
>
> > On Sep 19, 2026, at 1:39 PM, Stanislav Martyanov <martyanov.sd at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Dimitris!
> >
> > >> If they are daily velocities, the largest tidal components would
> either be aliased (if snapshots) or heavily damped (if daily mean). I have
> not been following this thread, but can’t you just use:
> https://github.com/MITgcm/MITgcm/blob/master/pkg/obcs/obcs_add_tides.F ?
> >
> > Yes, I do use this subroutine to set tidal forcing (through phases and
> amplitudes at the boundaries).
> >
> > Having looked at this subroutine once more, I've just realised that I
> might have been wrong about the nudging mechanism in MITgcm. Tidal
> oscillations ARE added to the boundary non-tidal currents in this
> subroutine, and AFTER that, if the sponge is ON, the internal model's
> solution is pulled towards these new boundary values (inside the sponge
> layers) that already contain both daily-mean currents and tidal
> oscillations. So tides do not get smoothed out inside the sponge layers due
> to the use of GLORYS's daily-mean non-tidal currents, because the tidal
> component has already been added to boundary values.
> >
> > Thank you for the help!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Stanislav
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> MITgcm-support mailing list
> MITgcm-support at mitgcm.org
> http://mailman.mitgcm.org/mailman/listinfo/mitgcm-support
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/attachments/20260923/cd7be35d/attachment.html>
More information about the MITgcm-support
mailing list