[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] Curvilinear grid generation

Yilang Xu yxu at whoi.edu
Tue Apr 16 22:08:30 EDT 2024

Hi Dimitris,

Thank you for pointing out the regular lat/lon grid. However, I am thinking about a rectangular curvilinear grid under a polar stereographic projection. An example of the model domain that is relevant to this question is shown in the following paper (red lines as the boundaries in Figure 1): https://gmd.copernicus.org/articles/16/3355/2023/

The reason that I do not use the spherical polar grid for this case is because the horizontal spacing is quite small in the Southern end near the south pole. But I do not need that high resolution in the southern end, and this leads to unnecessary CFL constraints.

Thanks,
Yilang