[MITgcm-support] application of Gauss (or Stokes) theorem to vorticity eon on C-grid

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Sep 5 02:36:43 EDT 2023

Hi Paola,

I never tried this, but I think it is important to know how the Coriolis terms are evaluted in the simulation. For this you need to check the relevant parameters in your STDOUT.0000 (do you use the mom-fluxform or the vector invariant form? parameters like: selectCoriScheme, useJamartWetPoints, useEnergyConservingCoriolis, selectVortScheme, SadournyCoriolis), and then it will be a bit tedious to find out, what the model actually does for the specific parameter set, but as far as I recall, this sets how the boundary conditions are computed, which in turn will give the “correct” (as the model evaluates them) form of the div(fu,fv) terms along the boundary. Does that make sense?

Martin