[MITgcm-support] How to reduce zonal velocity to zero in regions where temperature is lower than a critical value?

赖燕红 yhlai at pku.edu.cn
Mon Oct 9 22:05:31 EDT 2023

Hello everyone!

I want to reduce u and v to zero in regions where the temperature is lower than 1700 K.

I tried to realize this goal by adding a linear drag in model/src/apply_forcing.F,

and the following codes are added in the subroutine APPLY_FORCING_U

%%%%%%%%%%%%

      _RL     T_sol
      _RL     k_sol

      T_sol = 1700
      k_sol = 1/86400

       DO j=0,sNy+1
        DO i=1,sNx+1
         IF ( theta(i,j,k,bi,bj) .LE. T_sol ) THEN
          gU_arr(i,j) = gU_arr(i,j)
     &      -uVel(i,j,k,bi,bj)*k_sol
         ENDIF
        ENDDO
       ENDDO
But these codes seems do not work, and results are the same to the case without these additional codes,
that is to say U in regions with T<T_sol did not reduce to zero,
Do you know what's wrong with these codes?
Or is it possible to directly set the velocity equal to zero in regions where temperature below 1700 K ?

Looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks in advance.

Best,

Yanhong