[MITgcm-support] About the relaxation timescale for U/V in the rbcs package

赖燕红 yhlai at pku.edu.cn
Mon Nov 6 08:21:02 EST 2023

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to use the rbcs package to reduce the velocity close to zero when temperature is lower than 1700 K.

I find that U/V can be reduced to be more close to zero when the relaxation timescale for U/V (tauRelaxU, tauRelaxV) is as small as possible.

However, the simulation is stable only when tauRelaxU and tauRelaxV ≥4000 s and deltaTmom = 600 s if planetary rotation is included, and lower deltaTmom and tauRelaxU/V will result in numerical instability.

The simulation can be stable even when tauRelaxU/V = 400 s and deltaTmom = 100 s when planetary rotation is not included.

I don't know how to use a lower tauRelaxU/V when planetary rotation is included, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Yanhong