[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] How to select interpolation method in EXF_INTERP_UV

Menemenlis, Dimitris (US 329B) dimitris.menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon May 1 09:15:42 EDT 2023

C   {inputField}_interpMethod :: interpolation method: =0 : no interpolation ;
C                             :: =1,11,21 : bilinear ; =2,12,22 : bicubic ;
C                             :: =1,2 for tracer ; =11,12 for U ; =21,22 for V.

so set:

  uwind_interpMethod = 11
  vwind_interpMethod = 21

in data.exf under EXF_NML_04

But watch out, there is a reason why we default to bicubic for wind: bilinear interpolation can cause large spurious gradients and wind stress curl anomalies at the location where wind is specified.

D.