[MITgcm-support] BLING with variable atmospheric pCO2

Dave Munday - BAS danday at bas.ac.uk
Tue Mar 21 11:29:58 EDT 2023

Hi Christoph,

> I understood that Dave did not want atmospheric pCO2 as a prescribed function of time/space, but as dynamically evolving through uptake/outgassing from the ocean, i.e. a simple atmospheric box that accumulates the total air-sea flux (and potentially some terrestrial fluxes as prescribed). Is that right?

That’s right, apologies if I caused by confusion by trying to give too much information :)

> We have done something like that for our ecosystem model REcoM, based on code from the DIC package. It wasn't too hard, but required some thinking. For example you want to have an additional restart file, so the atmospheric inventory is kept when you do a restart.

I hadn’t even thought of restarts yet!

> Probably you can copy the relevant code by following what happens in the DIC package when set DIC_INT=3 in DIC_VARS.h. But if you want I can send you the relevant parts of our code, not super-nice to read, but I think you can easily grasp the ideas.

That would be really helpful, thanks. Easier to start from someone else’s hard work than from scratch. I’ve been trying to find all the bits I need, but was worried I might miss something obvious. My main concern being making sure everything really is conserve.

Many thanks,

Dave