[MITgcm-support] easier ways to implement cost function

mario wrk wrkmario at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 08:18:03 EST 2023

Dear MITgcm community,
Hi, May I ask a very general question, what is the easiest way to implement
a cost function for adjoint study? As I find available cost functions in
ecco package, can it be easier if I just call a cost function in pkg/ecco?

I was modifying the legacy code of my group, then I realized, even if I
just want to change one variable, for example, Zonal Velocity  to
Temperature in the COST FUNCTION, I have to modify some other associated
files (I did try and might not find all of them). Then I got TAF ERROR:
code of function tbar not seen and no flow information set, cannot generate
derivative common block variable to tbar

Best,
Mario