[MITgcm-support] How to calculate the internal tide disspation from MITgcm output ?

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Tue Jun 27 12:04:12 EDT 2023

Hi Mike,

I don¡¯t know what You et al 2023 refers to ¨C do you have a journal name?

However your question is not very clear.  Eq 8 is a barotropic energy equation, and related the barotropic tide divergence to its terms: the conversion to baroclinic motions, C, and the barotropic dissipation \bar{D} and \bar{\epsilon}.  Note this equation is missing non-linear advection of the barotropic energy, but that is often small in deep water.

15-17 are probably baroclinic dissipations, though confusingly you have u¡¯ and u_{bc}.  However, there is of course no dissipation of potential energy in the barotropic equations.

C should balance the divergence of the energy flux and the dissipation in some volume, plus a non-linear baroclinic advection term.

\epsilon_{diff} is typically substantially less than \epsilon_{visc}, usually around 20%, though its of course possible to drive it to be different values based on how you choose your viscosities and diffusivities.  You have viscosity 10 times your diffusivity, so I wouldn¡¯t expect \epsilon_{visc} to be too high.

I always use Kang and Fringer for the energy decompositions (https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/phoc/42/2/jpo-d-11-039.1.xml). They go through the derivation carefully as does Kang¡¯s thesis.

You may find my (outdated) energetics code useful:  https://github.com/jklymak/MITgcmcode

Cheers,   Jody