[MITgcm-support] Vertical diffusion for non-hydrostatic ocean model with a stretched grid

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at mit.edu
Wed Feb 1 10:25:44 EST 2023

Hi Paul,

There is some confusion about Smagorinsky in MITgcm since we have 2 implementations:
1) a Smagorinsky like horizontal viscosity that is function of horizontal shear,
  with the choice of harmonic (viscC2smag) or bi-harmonic (viscC4smag) viscosity.
2) a simple 3-D Smagorinsky harmonic viscosity that work best when the grid is
  near isotropic (mostly for Non-Hydrostatic simulation) and does not acount for
  stratification.
  Need ALLOW_SMAG_3D_DIFFUSIVITY to be defined and uses run-time parameter:
   useSmag3D = .TRUE., with smag3D_coeff,
  see experiment: tutorial_deep_convection, with input.smag3d/data

You may want to try this second implementation.
Alternatively, you could always set a vertical profile of (background)
vertical viscosity using Nr values to set vector "viscArNr" in main parameter
input file "data" (note that the fist value corresponds to the very top,
i.e., surface, vertical index k=1, and has no effect).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel