[MITgcm-support] Question about FRAZIL package

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Dec 7 07:45:13 EST 2023

Hi Alan,

I may be wrong about the frazil package, but I think it’s a “hack” to get rid of supercooled water in the interior by modifying the temperature tendency locally and at the correspoding surface cell, so no freezing done in this package. The exceed heat that made the interiol grid cell supercooled is moved to the surface (instantaneously within one timestep), and then the model does what it does according to the thermodynamics. As far as I can tell, it should also work with pkg/shelfice, i.e the temperature tendendy is applied to the first cell below the ice shelf (kSurcC), and then there can be refreezing according the ice-shelf-ocean interaction.

Martin