[MITgcm-support] GMREDI without the small slope approximation

Paola Cessi pcessi at ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 26 14:42:46 EDT 2023

Hi Flynn,

the reason why the off-diagonal k12 and k21 are set to 0 is because the antisymmetric component of that tensor is associated with the “bolus-velocity”, which needs to be incompressible. This point is lucidly explain in Vallis textbook (2017 edition) in chapter 13.6 (pages 490-493). In Vallis’ example the component set to zero is k31 and k13, but this is irrelevant: you can set any of the three antisymmetric components to zero, and guarantee that the resulting “bolus-velocity” is incompressible in 3-D.

In the implementation of Kgm in the MITgcm that I am familiar with, the antisymmetric component is explicitly determined in terms of a streamfuction associated with the bolus velocity, making sure that it also satisfies the boundary conditions on solid boundaries and on the free surface. You can read about it here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1463500310000065 <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1463500310000065>

In summary, I recommend that you implement your large slope scenario on the existing components of knm, without adding a third antisymmetric part which would mess up incompressibility of the bolus velocity. The diffusive part of the tensor is in the diagonal components.

Cheers,
Paola