[MITgcm-support] why fresh water flux not recommened together with salinity restoring for adjoint

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Sep 5 10:26:50 EDT 2022

I think that it means the same thing (“not recommend with … restoring” sound like “better with surface restoring” (than turned on freshwater flux). In the end both salinity restoring and freshwater flux imply a forcing for salinity. If you use only freshwater flux with temperature restoring, that’s called mixed boundary conditions and those then to lead to very sensitive set ups (check out old paper about that). Maybe these comments refer to that.

Martin