[MITgcm-support] the implicit pressure components of PHIHYD?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Oct 19 05:53:43 EDT 2022

Hi CJ,

the composition of the diagnostics PHIHYD (totPhiHyd in the code) depends on the model configuration. For ECCO, I am guessing that the non-linear free surface with r-star coordinates is turned on and then totPhiHyd does not include the eta-contribution explicitly, but only impliclty via the variable r-star coordinate (this is more accurate, because then the free surface changes the layer thicknesses). Please have a look at model/src/diags_phi_hyd.F, starting line 107, which overwrites the default version at the top of the subroutine (which corresponds to your understanding of totPhiHyd). It’s probably going to be very tricky to reconstruct totPhiHyd exactly in this context (but I don’t know).

BTW, the conversion between pressure and geopotential is done with rhoConst (which happens to be 1029 in the ECCO context).

Martin