[MITgcm-support] mitgcm seaice

Michael A Spall mspall at whoi.edu
Wed Nov 23 12:02:49 EST 2022

Hi All,
I am doing a problem with the MITgcm and the seaice package. The results are nearly insensitive to the value of SEAICE_waterDrag.
I see in the code that if a certain condition is met then the drag is set to 0.25, which I suspect is being met in my calculations (I am
checking this).  Can someone explain the reasoning behind this limit?

from MITgcm_c67c, seaice_oceandrag_coeffs.F:

           IF ( SEAICE_waterDrag.LE.0. ) THEN
            CwatC(I,J,bi,bj)=0.
           ELSEIF ( TEMPVAR.LE.(0.25 _d 0/SEAICE_waterDrag)**2 ) THEN
            CwatC(I,J,bi,bj)=0.25 _d 0
           ELSE
            CwatC(I,J,bi,bj)=SEAICE_waterDrag*SQRT(TEMPVAR)
           ENDIF

Thanks,
Mike

Michael A. Spall