[MITgcm-support] RBCS for sea ice boundary conditions

Alan Gaul agaul at mit.edu
Tue Nov 1 18:55:23 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if sea ice boundary conditions (area, thickness, velocities) work with the RBCS package? I see that the SEAICE package works with the OBCS package, but am curious if anyone has used SEAICE and RBCS together. I'm curious because l've been struggling to keep sea ice from building up at the boundary when using SEAICE + OBCS (my boundary conditions are interpolated from SOSE output), and regarding a previous support thread linked below, perhaps a relaxation region might help solve this.

Thank you,
Alan

P.S. I have tried a couple of fixes, for instance going to OBCS_OPTIONS and defining first OBCS_SEAICE_AVOID_CONVERGENCE and then next also defining OBCS_SEAICE_COMPUTE_UVICE, but these did not seem to help.

Previous support thread:
http://mailman.mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2020-May/012518.html