[MITgcm-support] Internal waves induced by submerged body

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Tue May 24 08:38:55 EDT 2022

Hi Mohammad

You can have a fixed obstacle on the seafloor and move the water past it.  You cannot submerge an obstacle from the surface into the fluid, so far as I know, though maybe the ice models have evolved to that point.  Similarly, I don’t think you can tow a body through a quiescent fluid.

If you want to move water past an obstacle, your approach depends a bit on your setup, but usually using the obcs or the rbcs package to nudge the flow is effective.  Sometimes you want a body force instead (modify external_forcing.F)

Cheers,   Jody

--
Jody Klymak
http://ocean-physics.seos.uvic.ca/~jklymak/