[MITgcm-support] vertical momentum tendency

钱钰坤 qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn
Mon May 23 09:36:05 EDT 2022

Hi,

I might find a workaround to get instantaneous TOTWTEND (not time-mean one)
by adding the following lines:
  CALL DIAGNOSTICS_SCALE_FILL( wVel, tmpFac, 1, 'TOTWTEND',0,Nr,0,1,1,myThid )
to diagnostics_fill_state.F file, following TOTUTEND and TOTVTEND  (see here).  And
also add a call to
  CALL DIAGNOSTICS_ADDTOLIST()
at diagnostics_main_init.F (see here).

Then I re-compile the model and run it well.  However, the tendency of w TOTWTEND
seems to be much larger than expected in my case:

I am not sure DIAGNOSTICS_SCALE_FILL really do the time-differencing.  Is this
the right way to get TOTWTEND?  Why it looks so large in magnitude?

  Best regards

Yu-Kun Qian (钱钰坤)South China Sea Institute of Oceanology
Sun Yat-sen University
Xingang West Road, Haizhu District
Guangzhou, P.R. China
Email: qianyukun at scsio.ac.cnqianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn