[MITgcm-support] Surface forcing of ptracers...

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Sun May 22 23:22:26 EDT 2022

Hi Jody

In bling_airseaflux.F there is code for oxygen gas exchange based on the
Wanninkhof 1992 formula that is quadratic in windspeed (JGR, V.97, NO.
C5,pp. 7373-7382,
updated in Wanninkhof 2014 Limnology and Oceanography:Methods, 12, pp
351-362).

The gas exchange velocity (kwexch) dependency on the windspeed and on the
Schmidt number (Sc),
and the gas flux go like this:
kwexch = a * (Sc/660)^(-1/2) * windspeed^2, where Flux = kexch * [Ca - Cw]
where Ca and Cw are the oxygen concentration in the atmosphere and ocean.
The leading constant "a" depends on the wind product (see, e.g. Sweeney et
al. 2007, Global Geochemical Cycles,
v. 21, GB2015).

The bling code doesn't use the same Schmidt number coefficients given in
Wanninkhof 2014 (in bling_init_fixed.F)
and instead of using the Bunsen solubility of Wanninkhof 2014, it uses the
C*_o
solubility from Garcia and Gordon 1992 (Limnololgy and Oceanography, 37(6),
pp. 1307-1312).

The dependency on T and S is buried in the Schmidt Number, and in the
solubility.
Wanninkhof 1992 gives the Schmidt number as third order polynomial in T.
Garcia and Gordon provide another polynomial/logarithmic mixed formula for
the solubility as a function of T and S.

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa