[MITgcm-support] Surface forcing of ptracers...

Manfredi Manizza mmanizza at ucsd.edu
Sat May 21 18:00:45 EDT 2022

Hi Jody,

I think you could  look at code of the DIC package that comes with MITgcm.
You can either strip down the code to 1 tracer and
also remove the routine of gas exchange for CO2 or  you can then just copy
from that code  the routine for gas exchange of O2 with the  solubility and
gas exchange parameters along that you need to make it work and re-adapt to
your code.

In the second case you might need gchem pkg too (is needed for dic pkg too
I think) compiled to make it work. Then you add the gas exchange code
and pass the flux term to your O2- like  tracer tendency only if  k = 1
(surface ocean only).

Here below  something similar to your case done a while ago where I added
the "thermal oxygen"
but still in the context of a  full bgc model.

In that case I just copied the code of the oxygen cycle and removed the
"sources minus sink" term so that it becomes "abiotic" only, like  that
tracer you want to obtain for
your study in the fjord if I understood correcly.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3402/tellusb.v64i0.18429

I hope this helps.

Manfredi

--