[MITgcm-support] Track freshwater flow from sea ice melting

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu May 19 13:36:28 EDT 2022

Hi Yilang,

if you are using seaice_growth (default if you use the pkg/seaice), then this is the only place where sea ice modifies the freshwater flux into the ocean.

The freshwater flux due to ice is (in mass units)

     &         + tmpscal1*convertHI2PRECIP
     &         )*rhoConstFresh

where tmscal1 is the sum of all terms starting in line 2357 is seaice_growth.F
https://github.com/MITgcm/MITgcm/blob/20a156cdcefcb000006123cf7ddac8fc997cb603/pkg/seaice/seaice_growth.F#L2375-2386

Now, some of these contributions are freezing, some are melting, so I would probably save this tmpscal1 in a new 2D field that I pass to pkg/ptracers/ptracers_forcing_surf.F, and you could add this flux only if the sign means melting (i.e. tmpscal1<0).

Martin