[MITgcm-support] Errors in the installation of MITgcm

ankan sarkar 519er2002 at nitrkl.ac.in
Tue May 17 08:18:55 EDT 2022

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am currently installing MITgcm as an ocean component of the RegCM-ES model. But, I am getting some errors during the installation of MITgcm when I gave the 'make' command. The last few lines of the errors that I am getting after giving the 'make' command is given in the following
gmake[1]: *** [Makefile:1056: mitgcmuv] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/data2/REGCM-ES/src/ocn/MITgcm_c63s/build10_std'
make: *** [Makefile:1052: fwd_exe_target] Error 2
I don't know why this error is coming. I am really stuck on this problem.
For your convenience,
I am giving the command lines that are used to install the standalone version of MITgcm in the following.
mkdir build10_std
cd build10_std
/data2/REGCM-ES/src/ocn/MITgcm_c63s/tools/genmake2 -rootdir=/data2/REGCM-ES/src/ocn/MITgcm_c63s/ -optfile=/data2/REGCM-ES/src/ocn/MITgcm_c63s/tools/build_options/linux_amd64_gfortran -mods=/data2/REGCM-ES/src/ocn/MITgcm_c63s/CODE_MYMODS_STRESSES -make=gmake -mpi
make depend
make
As per my system, I have modified some lines of the default opt file 'linux_amd64_gfortran' to link the libraries of NetCDF and mpi. I don't know if it is correct or not. Is the error coming because of the opt file? Can you look at the opt file? Can you guide me to modify the opt file according to my case? I am attaching the opt file with this. Note that, the environment variables $NETCDF and $MPI_INC_DIR in opt file are predefined in the bashrc file as

export NETCDF=/usr/local/netcdf

export MPI_INC_DIR=/usr/local/openmpi/include

Also, I am attaching the all lines that I got after giving the 'make' command. So, that it can help you to understand the problem. Please have a look at these. Note that though there was no error after giving the 'make depend' command, I got the following error when I gave the third command line using genmake

WARNING: the "mnc" package was enabled but tests failed to compile
NetCDF applications. Please check that:

NetCDF is correctly installed for this compiler and
the LIBS variable (within the "optfile") specifies the correct
NetCDF library to link against.
Due to this failure, the "mnc" package is now DISABLED.

So, is the error coming because of this or anything else? For your convenience, I am also attaching the genmake.log file if it helps. Additionally, I am also attaching the modified SIZE.h file which is in the folder path /data2/REGCM-ES/src/ocn/MITgcm_c63s/CODE_MYMODS_STRESSES. Please, anyone, help me in this regard. Any help on this would be very much appreciable. Thank you.

With regards,
Ankan