[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] Issue with surface ocean currents

Menemenlis, Dimitris (US 329B) dimitris.menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 17 13:29:18 EDT 2022

Hi Kunal, I will be interested to know what you find, that is, whether it is indeed reflections at the lateral boundaries that cause trouble.
With prescribed boundary conditions, everything that does not match exactly the specified boundary conditions will be reflected.
You can sometimes get away with prescribed boundary conditions when you are downscaling from a simulation with the same forcing.
But this is not your case where the lateral boundary conditions and the atmospheric forcing are not directly related.
Some relaxation at the boundaries might be able to damp these reflections.

Dimitris