[MITgcm-support] Issue With Floats

Mitchel Morrison m36morrison at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 8 13:55:03 EST 2022

Hi,

I have been attempting to run an MITgcm simulation for a river case with particle tracking. I have ran the river case before and tested out different parameters, those runs worked. However, I have been trying to implement particle tracking using the float (flt) package/s. This is where I have run into trouble:

The runs continue to complete, and I can extract the same data as before (T, U, V, W), but after initializing particles and adding them to the run, the particles are nowhere to be found in the results when I attempt to read in the particle trajectories.

In my setup:

  *   I have added FLT_OPTIONS.h, and FLT_SIZE.h to /code/, as well as adding "flt" in packages. conf in /code/
  *   I have used a python script to generate float_init.bin and float_init.csv to put in my run directory (this is where I have initialized the particles)
  *   In the run directory, I have added data.flt, turned useFLT on in data.pkg
  *   Had/did everything else that was needed for my run before I attempted to add floats (pre-particle tracking)

The simulations still run to completion but when I run the python script read_flt_traj.py (python script to read in particle trajectories), it indicates that the total number of particles is zero. Another note to add is that this is for a 3-dimensional simulation. I am just not sure where the issue is stemming from, or if I perhaps am missing something with respect to my setup or a change in paramters.

If you have any questions to clarify the issue/s I have been having or if you need any files from me, please let me know!

Regards,

Mitchel