[MITgcm-support] Help with internal wave breaking and shoaling parameterization package

Menemenlis, Dimitris (US 329B) dimitris.menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Aug 26 11:40:39 EDT 2022

Hi Nadav, I just discussed answers to your questions with group in cc.

1. We used MITgcm in hydrostatic configuration.

2. We used KPP because it was the parameterization used in the global model that provided the boundary conditions, so mostly for inertia reasons and due to lack of bandwidth to explore all possible options.  But you are right in pointing out that background diffusivity and viscosity in KPP is meant, in part, to represent internal wave breaking.  Note that below the surface boundary layer, KPP includes a Richardson-number based representation of mixing.  This is why it makes sense to turn off the background diffusivity and viscosity terms when you are starting to explicitly resolve internal waves in the simulation.

3. Breaking of IWs in our simulations is parameterized by the KPP Richardson-number based term, since our resolution is insufficient to resolve actual breaking.  With the exception of the southwest corner of our domain, IWs do not have much opportunity to shoal in our open-ocean regional simulations.  I think this is a big difference with your domain, where much of the vertical mixing physics in your specific case may be driven by interactions with bottom bathymetry.

4. For realistic representation of vertical shear, more vertical levels is definitely better.  If you can afford to increase vertical levels, you definitely should, and compare with the coarser-vertical-resolution simulations to establish impact of vertical resolution on the solution.

Cheers,

Dimitris Menemenlis