[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] model unstability caused by increasing sea surface elevation(eta)

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Fri Aug 26 12:32:09 EDT 2022

> On Aug 23, 2022, at 1:14 PM, Menemenlis, Dimitris (US 329B) <dimitris.menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
> As far as I know, tidal elevation @ boundary is not connected in any direct way with tidal elevation within the domain.
> What matters for tidal elevation within the domain is volume flux, i.e., velocity normal to the grid cell faces, on the inside edge of the OBCS boundary conditions.

I think thats correct - the MITgcm has no sea surface height nudging.  I think Ken Hughes implemented it a few years ago, and I think it would make a great addition to the rbcs package (and maybe obcs) because there are situations where forcing by sea surface height and allowing the flow to adjust is more natural than forcing via velocity.

Cheers,   Jody