[MITgcm-support] rolling pickups: nchecklev value on restarting model

Daniel Goldberg dan.goldberg at ed.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 05:57:58 EDT 2022

Hello All

In the setup Im working with, it matters to me whether at a given time, ckptA or ckptB is the suffix used for a pickup write! There is a variable nCheckLev in a common block in RESTART.h which seems to determine this behaviour.

>From grepping for ths variable, it seems to me that when we start from a pickup, this variable is reset.

Thus, if ckptFreq is set to e.g. 10000., and i do a run that is 10,000 seconds long, then pickup.ckptA.* will be written at the end of the run, assuming deltaT divides into 10,000. If the run were 20,000 seconds or more, then pickup.ckptB.* would be written at 20,000 seconds -- here im just describing rolling pickups.

BUT, assuming nCheckLev is reset each time the model is (re)started, then if I were to then restart the model from the pickup.ckptA.* written at 10,000 seconds, then pickup.ckptA.* would be OVERWRITTEN at 20,000 seconds.

I wonder if someone could comment on whether this is correct?

Many thanks
Dan

--
Daniel Goldberg, PhD (he/him)
Reader in Glaciology

em: dan.goldberg at ed.ac.uk<mailto:dan.goldberg at ed.ac.uk>
web: https://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/homes/dgoldber
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.