[MITgcm-support] seaice_saltFrac and SEAICE_VARIABLE_SALINITY

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Aug 3 09:45:42 EDT 2022

Hi Dan,

I’m afraid, that the sea ice thermodynamics are really not very well documented.

I usually spend time reading the code of seaice_growth.F if I need to find out how a particular parameter works. I think you are right about SEAICE_saltFrac only being used when SEAICE_VARIABLE_SALINITY is defined. The parameter determines how much salt is retained in sea ice, when ice forms. This salt (variable HSALT) is advected conservatively and released when sea ice melts.

In contrast seaice_salt0 is only used when SEAICE_VARIABLE_SALINITY is undefined.

Then there are the sea ice tracers where salinity can also be used as a tracer. I think that this code is more consistent than the SEAICE_VARIABLE_SALINITY code but there’s even less documentation.

Martin